Monday, November 14, 2011

Where Have I Come From?

Almost three decades ago I was a breastfeeding counsellor for a national organisation here in Australia. Apart from telephone counselling and running group discussions, I would also speak at "Basics of Breastfeeding" classes, usually for first time parents, at the local hospital. In those classes I would discuss the common concerns of most mums to be.  I tried to impart confidence and factual information to prepare them for whatever challenges may lie ahead with their newborn babe. In my own way I was doing the best I could with what I had; a group of people I'd never met before, some basic physiology and lots of vain humanist philosophies and feminist ideas. I didn't know much better myself back then!

What a blessing it was to discover that God has much better ideas for teaching us His ways concerning mothering and breastfeeding! The Bible actually gives us all the information and encouragement we need and I no longer associate myself with the organisation with which I trained, as they have always considered it "unethical" for their counsellors to discuss their own spiritual beliefs. I must say, however, that I am sure in the area of emotional and physical support to women and families, they would put many churches to shame!

14 Yet Jerusalem says,
“The Lord has deserted us; the Lord has forgotten us.”  
15 “Never! Can a mother forget her nursing child?
      Can she feel no love for the child she has borne?
   But even if that were possible,
      I would not forget you!
 16 See, I have written your name on the palms of my hands.

Isaiah 49:14-16

No comments:

Post a Comment